Why does someone need public speaking skills and ability? Does it make any difference in the way of living? If so, then what makes people build up public speaking ability? Is there anything that holds one behind?
Such a question ponders most and throws random thoughts which are unique from person to person. Few are driven away and hide in caves and live reserved lives as I overcome such a lifestyle and build up so-called public communication skills. These skills drive and form a key part in building leadership skills.
Now to generalize it there are primarily two types I like to share:
- Speaking in public on a specific topic may be a professional subject, educational content, or social interaction.
- Table topic which speaking on topic presented spot on where there is no time to prepare a speech.
Developing such skills needs Goals, Visions, Practice, Interaction, Evaluation.
Without a goal, nothing is accomplished as every project has a goal and planned to achieve so does this project “Public Speaking” should be built on certain understanding by specifying tasks which are measurable in skills by acme of words, whose actions are achieved to improve audience engagement, by investing more time in resources as practising to speak, reading relevant information and getting feedback from sample audiences and repetition of this process frequently over time to build confidence.
Every one has different strengths and weaknesses here are few common interest found in newbie like me,
- Asking rhetorical questions on the topic after speech (for audiences engagement)
- Speak topic that interests audiences
- Use hands, if possible, one hand to express words and sentences known as animated speech.
- Eye contact, looking in audience eyes helps them to engage and interactive
- Use opposite terms in speech and use humour sometimes keep speech interactive
- Use open body language to audiences to make them feel comfortable
- Variation in speech with high and low tone will keep audiences awake
- Use pauses (2-3 sec) between sentences where needed instead of fill-in words (am, so, etc.)
- For education speech use introduction followed by matter and in the end summarizing the whole topic
- Open speech with WHY? to make it more interesting to the audience.
Continuous improvement only occurs when there is feedback, practice and evaluation of speech. And then improvement is action-ed by habit, which is practising skills, speaking with people around us, and asking for feedback.